We’ll get into the anatomy of a quality website in the next chapter. Before we do that, its important that we identify the basic anatomy of a website. All too often, the technical jargon gets in the way of understanding exactly what is going on with a website. That’s unfair. In this section I’ll describe websites in simpler terms. Once you have this baseline, it is much easier to make informed decisions about setting up your store’s website.
In simple terms, a website consists of a domain name, a hosting provider, a platform and a template.
What we’ll cover
Over the next several sections of this chapter I’ll discuss each aspect of a website in depth. The goal of this chapter is to leave you feeling more well informed. After finishing this chapter you should be able to:
- Identify the differences between domain name providers and platform providers.
- Understand how your current website is set up.
- Be able to select vendors for various aspects of your website.
- Determine how much you need to pay for each system aspect of your site.
- Grasp the type of work that is involved with each aspect of the site.
- Know where to look for platforms, templates and domain names for your business website.
Choosing a platform